Wednesday, July 01, 2009

No Longer Chair

As of today, I am officially no longer the Chair of the Philosophy Department!

Surprisingly, I am feeling a bit blue about that.

But it is a good development in my life. It frees me to devote more time to my research and writing. After being chair longer than not being chair in my academic career so far, I have been ready to let it go for quite some time. And I'm in the wonderful situation of being very happy about who is now becoming chair.

I am still Program Coordinator of Peace Studies. So my administrative life is not over -- just more manageable, at last.

Despite the fact that I never wanted to be chair, I am glad I did it. I learned a lot, and even grew to like it in many ways. There were a lot of challenges. But there were also wonderful creative opportunities. I feel good about where the department is these days.

And I'm feeling ready to focus my energies more specifically and more fully in other directions now.

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations! I hope it frees you up to do more of your research and writing -- including on your blog. :)

    Chris M.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chris - I'm so glad you are still reading my blog! Yes, I do hope to return to more regular blog writing again.

    ReplyDelete