Thursday, August 21, 2008

Letting Myself Be

What I'd like to do is go for long walks and wander aimlessly.

But a new academic year rapidly approaches. I still need to finish getting ready. Sometimes it's good to try to work. Other times, it's hopeless. Fortunately, I still have not had to press myself.

Sometimes I sink into real depression again. Other times, moments of being really glad to be alive break through like those rays of light between storm clouds -- unbelievably bright, but passing by so fleetingly. I am glad for them, though. They remind me that there really is a brilliant sun behind the clouds. I do know this even when I am not directly seeing it.

And sometimes I actually believe that I can enter into the new academic year with a whole new attitude: keeping "in touch" and staying centered.

Lately I've started avoiding work as much as possible, but I sense that new ideas about how to handle it well are brewing under the surface. So, when it is time, then I will be ready and I will know how to take it on with grace and effectiveness.

So I hope.

5 comments:

  1. I find that long walks and wandering aimlessly actually *helps* me deal with things like daily life, depression (I'm bipolar), etc. While wandering for hours (as I sometimes do) can be counterproductive, if you set aside even half an hour a day to wander, you may find your mood improving.

    By the way - I found your blog through Quaker Zebby, and I was wondering if you would mind if I added you to my blogroll? My own blog is here: http://innerquiet.wordpress.com/ (I only use my blogger account for commenting)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, you are under no obligation to add me back, I just like to ask permission first. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kelsey,

    Very good advice about walking and wandering aimlessly -- thank you!

    Yes, feel free to add my blog to your blogroll -- thank you for your interest!

    I've kept my own blogroll pretty simple -- just some metapages that direct readers to other listings of Quaker blogs. That's because once upon a time, my own blogroll got pretty long, and keeping it up to date took time, and I worried about offending those whose blogs I inadvertently did not include.

    Meanwhile, I shifted my own blog reading primarily to bloglines, where I subscribe to lots of blogs, and stay in touch that way. I have added your blog to my subscriptions there!

    Thanks again,
    CS

    ReplyDelete
  4. The key with the walking is for it to be truly aimless. Don't go to the store, don't have a set goal or location in mind. Just walk and let your feet guide you.

    Think of it as a Meeting in motion. :)

    Thanks, and I'll add you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, excellent advice! And I love that phrasing: a Meeting in motion! That captures the right sense about it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete