Tuesday, December 25, 2007

All I Want for Christmas is a Working Sump Pump

Merry Christmas!

This morning, I was working on the soup I was planning to take to the potluck I was going to, when I noticed strange sounds coming from the basement. I opened the basement door, turned on the light, looked down, and my worst fears were realized: the basement was flooding. The strange noises were my sump pump trying to turn on.

Yes, it was warm today (34 degrees, just above freezing), and so all of that snow was melting and seeping into my basement. (We've still had a white Christmas -- there's lots of snow still left!)

So, bravely I went down and poked at the sump pump a bit, but to no avail. I couldn't figure out what was wrong. I tried to call for help, but (not surprisingly) had a hard time finding someone. After assessing that the basement was not flooding that quickly, I decided to go to my friends' potluck and deal with it later.

So I went, and had a nice time, but remained preoccupied with worry. Finally I left.

When I returned, the water had advanced enough that I became really worried. Finally, I got hold of the emergency technician on call from the company that usually helps me with these kinds of problems. He was very cheerful, came over, and told me that I was "only" his second call of the day. "I thought I'd get a lot more," he said. "The other was a sump pump too. With all the snow we've had, I thought there'd be a lot more with this problem today."

I really appreciated his cheerful attitude.

Happy is the sound of a working sump pump!

1 comment:

  1. If you have a lousy sump pump well, it's a bit more difficult. The well should be deep enough so that the pump can rest well, and it should have a flat bottom. If you don't have a good well, make sure the area that you need to make the well is not near any utility lines, and rent a jack hammer to smash out the cement. Then you dig a deep enough hole to suit your purpose. Thanks:)

    ReplyDelete