Friday, October 20, 2006

Blogger Beta

I've switched to Blogger Beta. The changes my readers notice will probably be subtle.

One change is that there are tags or labels at the end of each posting. I had already thought up a way to organize by topic, by using Del.icio.us to bookmark each posting and then importing its list of tags to my sidebar, under "Postings by Topic" (clever, eh?). I have not yet coordinated all of those tags with the Blogger Beta labels, but I've gotten a good start.

Does having labels at the end of each posting now make my "Postings by Topic" sidebar redundant? They do function a little differently: clicking on the topic sidebar takes you to a Del.icio.us listing of links to all related postings; clicking on a label at the end of the posting shows you a page that contains the full text of all of the postings that fall under that label. For now, I think I'll keep both, because the sidebar shows all tags or labels in use at once. I'll at least keep both in use until I've fully caught up on labeling all of the posts within Blogger Beta.

Another change is that I now have a Gmail account associated with my blogging, making it possible for people to e-mail me. (Previously, the only way to communicate with me was to leave a comment.) You can e-mail me by viewing my profile and clicking on the "e-mail" link.

The third change is unfortunate: a problem indicated in the release notes that still has not been resolved, I believe: that people who have Blogger accounts (rather than Blogger Beta) who leave comments cannot delete their own comments. Not many of my commentators have tried to delete their comments (I can tell...), so this may not be too much of a problem. But if you do find yourself in this predicament (maybe you are a perfectionist and want to re-post a comment to correct a spelling error!), it may be the case that I still can delete the comment for you. So just e-mail me (see above) should you ever want to delete a comment you've made but find yourself unable to do so.

If you notice other changes, good or bad, please let me know!

Meanwhile, behind the scenes, certain things function much more smoothly and straightforwardly now, and so I myself am pleased with the change.

By the way, can you tell that I must be on mid-semester break? Otherwise, I never would have had time for this sort of thing right now. In fact, I don't really have time even now! But I must confess that, for me, this counts as a fun relaxing break from the usual routine. Sad, isn't it? :-)

3 comments:

  1. Greetings Friend,

    I have selected your Quaker blog for inclusion in the "Blogging for Worship" listings at Quaker.zebby.org. I hope this will help bring more visitors to your blog. If you would like to return the favor and help the other quaker bloggers as well, please consider using one of the stickers available on my page.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why, thank you! Nice site. I did add a sticker to your site to my page, on the sidebar.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete