Saturday, July 01, 2006

Meditation on a Potted Plant

One day I found myself staring at one of my potted plants. I admired the way the light shone translucently through some of its leaves. I thought about all that I knew about this plant, and whether I was sure about this knowledge or not, and how I knew. But mostly I just looked at it, caressing the curve of each leaf and branch with my eyes. I stopped thinking and just looked.

And suddenly, to my total surprise, I was overwhelmed with the realization that this little plant I had here in my house was a miracle. Right here, in my house – right before my very eyes – a miracle!

There is this being that miraculously takes sunlight and water and nutrients in the soil and transforms them into beautiful growth. Yes, it grows. It is alive. Quietly, slowly, all by itself, it grows.

It reaches its roots into the soil and chooses certain molecules and takes them into itself, turning those molecules into stem or leaf or flower. Slowly it bends to catch the light better, and reflects that light as a beautiful shade of green.

How does it know how to do all of this?

It just does. It just is.

I give it water; and I love it. It may not know that. It just is what it is, and does what it does.

But I give it water, and I love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment