Saturday, July 22, 2006

Another Trip, and Other Updates

I’m about to depart on another trip: what qualifies as a genuine vacation at last: a wonderful music camp for players of wooden flutes. I’ll talk more about it when I get back.

Meanwhile, my running continues to go well. I'm up to being able to do 11 1/2 minutes in one go. Objectively, this is not so impressive, but subjectively, I'm making progress! (I find myself chanting to myself as I run, "my own micro-marathon!" Indeed, it might be close to a whole mile!) I try not to compare my present progress with what I once could do in the past. All that matters, I tell myself, is getting out 4 times a week getting the best workout I can relative to my current level of fitness. All I have to do is internalize this as a habit in my life. I don't care about breaking any records. I just want to be fit because of how that changes my energy. When I'm reasonably fit, I face all of life's challenges with more confidence and even with more clarity. And I'm already feeling these kinds of changes.

While I haven't written directly about it here in my blog, I'm deeply concerned about the renewed violence in the Middle East.

My writing projects have gotten a bit stalled. Having a week of real vacation will do me good. During this time, I won't let myself even think about my writing projects, my upcoming fall classes, or my other work-related responsibilities. I'll just let myself be immersed in music. When I come back, I might try to start an Irish music session here.

I've been trying to find the right way to balance world-concern with self-care. Not easy. It seems like over the course of one's life, the formula keeps changing.

I won't have internet access at all while I'm gone, so don't be offended if I don't reply to comments immediately. I wish you all well, and look forward to reading the probably hundreds of new postings that will appear in my bloglines account when I return!

3 comments:

  1. Have a wonderful vacation!

    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Pam! It was great! I've just posted about it, and even included pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete