Tuesday, March 28, 2006

The Relativity of Time

Wow, life has gotten very busy again, with some trips to visit others before I return to the U.S. The visits have been very good – wonderful meaningful conversations about life, the universe, and everything. I’m a little exhausted now, though. I’ve spent about 14 hours on trains and buses the last four days. I love train travel—but sometimes trains are crowded and I don’t get to sit by the window. But I still make good use of my time – maybe too good. Maybe that’s the real reason I’m exhausted. I’ve spent a lot of time reading all of my research notes and scribbling new thoughts and ideas.

I depart to return home on Thursday. Hard to believe. Just as I expected: the first few days felt like weeks, and the last few weeks felt like days. The relativity of time. The intervals of time we say are the same lengths are not really. Time stretches or shrinks depending on the kinds of activities that happen within it. Massive, weighty activities warp spacetime, akin to how massive objects warp spacetime in Einstein’s own theory of relativity.

But tomorrow, my last full day here, I will happily stay put and just thoroughly enjoy being here.

No comments:

Post a Comment