Thursday, January 05, 2006

Happy New Year!

Hi! I'm back! Happy New Year!

I'm feeling a little out of it, because I let myself get immersed in a whole different world on my holiday travels, and didn't think much about my normal life, and didn't track the news very much. Now I'm back and starting to face my normal life again. It's not so bad facing it since I am on sabbatical this semester. Anyway, our semester doesn't start for a few weeks. Something surreal is setting in, though -- I'm finding that it's a little strange to be on sabbatical because most people are not. And a great many people don't really understand sabbaticals: they think it is "time off." They relate it to the notion of "sabbath," which they also tend to mistakenly interpret as "time off."

I think of both as "time more on than what we normally call 'work'."

What we normally call "work" can be a distraction from who we really are and what we are really are called to do with our lives. "Can be." In my case, I am fortunate because my work is expressive of my calling. But being on sabbatical is even more so. This time ahead promises especially to allow me to live more fully into my desired identity: that of contemplative scholar.

So I greet this new year with extra enthusiasm and optimism. There is much I want to think about and write about, and I feel very blessed indeed to have this time open up for me.

Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment