Thursday, December 22, 2005

Peace on Earth

Soon I will embark on holiday travels, and so I wanted to wish my readers Happy Holidays! Yesterday was the Winter Solstice, the shortest day of the year -- today the days begin to get longer again. The light slowly returns. Darkness does not last forever.

When I read through my students' final projects, I found myself feeling heartened. Despite all that is troublesome in the world, there is always new life, new creativity, new hope coming forth. It is a real privilege to be let in to glimpse the growth, development, and creativity of my students. I watch their clarity and confidence grow. And I feel hopeful for the future. My students care. They are searching, earnestly, for positive and helpful ways to engage the world and its problems. They are full of energy, ideas, and love.

There is hope.

So, my semester ends; I now face the holiday season glad to travel and reunite with family. But I also enter the holiday season in an attitude of continuing prayer, for all who feel taken hostage, for all who feel trapped, for all who struggle, for whatever reasons, to live freely the full loving truth of who they most truly are. I pray for the melting of whatever forces hold them captive. I pray for the release of their best selves into the true freedom of love.

I pray, as always, for peace on earth.

2 comments:

  1. Christmas blessings to you, and thanks for your thoughtful, hopeful words.

    Johan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much, Johan! I hope you had a good Christmas, and I wish you and all of my readers a Happy New Year as well!

    ReplyDelete