Monday, August 08, 2005

More Bad Luck: Now My Dryer Has Died

After a busy weekend, I got a late start on my laundry tonight. After the second load was in the wash, I found that my dryer would not turn on. Now I have wet laundry draped about the house, since it is too late tonight to do anything more decisive.

Why this stream of bad luck? (See Bad Luck Blues and Lost Luggage.)

Is the Universe trying to tell me something?

A good friend of mine told me quite firmly that such events are not "signs." They don't have hidden messages for us. They just happen.

So, I was going to launch into a huge existential crisis about all of this, but now I can't. I think my friend is right. When I think of the most spiritually centered people I know, and think about how they would respond, I imagine them just shaking their heads and laughing at the draped-about laundry and then just going to bed. So that's what I'll do.

2 comments:

  1. It is usually "our response" to the crisis that holds the lesson. The Universe just provides the laboratory!

    How we deal with each new obstacle -- better than the last time? smarter than the last time? calmer? less frantic? -- is the opportunity.

    The next time you have a string of "bad luck" say; "How wonderful that I should have so many opportunities for self-mastery."

    LoL! Take Care!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this insight! I very much appreciate it!

    And it comes at a good time, as I enter Weekend 3 Without a Dryer (it's been complicated figuring out why it keeps blowing fuses, and I don't want to try to use it until I am sure that it is really fixed). The experience is helping me learn to ask for (and accept) help...

    ReplyDelete