Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Poised to Travel

I'm departing for a conference tomorrow. So, during the past few days, I've been caught in that strange world of being here but not being fully here. The process of being here but preparing to be somewhere else for a time is a strange state of being. I love my home, and in a certain way wish I could just stay put. But all year I have been looking forward to this trip, because it gives me a chance to re-connect with really important friends. I need this. So, all day today, as I've been getting things together, I've been happy!

There are people who travel so much that they take it in stride -- or are there really such people? I have had periods of extended travel, and so I know that you can adjust to that special mode of being. You learn to really appreciate exactly where you are. Travel is both exciting, and unsettling.

This summer I am going on several short trips -- three short trips that will each last a week, in three very different places, each presenting its own unique configuration of excitement and challenge. A friend of mine once confessed to me, before a big trip, "I don't like traveling, but after the fact, I like having traveled. I'm stressed out about this trip now, but I know that in the long run, I will be glad to have done this."

At first I marveled because this was such a brilliant description of how I've come to feel about traveling. But more recently I've remembered that there were times when I was totally thrilled to travel -- everything about the experience was exciting to me. And I'm starting to regain that sense again. I think travel got stressful when I was flying out to intensive academic job interviews. Now that I feel more secure in my work, I can relax back into the excitement of being in new places and meeting new people. It gives you a different perspective on your life. The travel itself provides valuable spiritual reflective time.

I'm not sure whether I'll have the chance to check in on all the blogs I'm now reading! But I look forward to catching up when I get back!

2 comments:

  1. Hi CS,
    Well, you take the view that there's one less tension in your life while traveling: you don't have to stress out keeping up with all the blogs!
    In Friendship,
    Martin the Quaker Ranter

    ReplyDelete
  2. But, I like keeping up with all the blogs! :-)

    The trip was intense, and I didn't even have time to try to keep up. But now I'm back, and it's good to be back! I feel recharged and clarified in ways I wouldn't have believed was possible!

    ReplyDelete